Contract for Potential Book Borrowers (a Book Riot cross-post)

Hello dear readers,

Today, I'm going to share one of the pieces I've published on Book Riot.  We will return to our regularly scheduled book reviews next week.

(Image source.)


Lending a book to a friend always seems like a wonderful idea. You get to feel like a magnanimous literary Yenta and your friend enjoys the privilege of reading the free book that you carefully selected just for her.

But there is a dark side. I’m all too familiar with that moment when I accept a book I’d lent out and discover that it doesn’t look anything like it did when I last held it. Rips, spills, broken bindings; many are the mishaps that can befall a borrowed book. I understand that creases are a part of life, but when I lend you one of my books, I am trusting you to care for it as if it were your own.

The uncertainty ends today.

For the protection of your books and mine, I offer the following document. Never again will we hold a returned book in our hands, wondering why it is in two pieces when previously it was only one.

I ______________, (“the borrower”) hereby apply to borrow a book from ___________ (“the owner”). I recognize that book borrowing is a privilege administered on a case-by-case basis by the owner, and that borrowing one book does not mean I will be permitted to borrow future books. By signing below, I agree to be held responsible for the following conditions.

To read the full contract, please click through to Book Riot here.

Have you entered my giveaway yet? You could win a free pair of diamond earrings!

Don't miss any of the fabulousness! Follow me:

Labels: