Let’s break it
down by pros and cons. I’m not going to use any specific spoilers, but if you
like to have no hints at all about what’s going to happen in a book you may not
want to read the rest of this review.
Pros:
-
Con
men! They’re resourceful and entertaining, with vaguely Robin Hood-like
motivation. This gives me a crush on them.
-
Interesting,
extensive, and detailed universe with creative fantastical details.
-
Really
well thought out fictional society. This author knows exactly how his fictional
city is laid out, who makes up which classes of people, where they all live,
what their houses look like, which holidays they celebrate, which gods they
believe in, and who hates who. It’s really impressive.
-
Excellent
description of certain very beautiful aspects of said fictional world. Ex: glass
palace, alchemical gardens, razor-sharp garden made of glass flowers.
-
Strong
female characters. The lead characters are all men, but they meet with (and are
occasionally thwarted by) strong, smart, and powerful women.
-
Multi-faceted
and interesting main characters.
-
Really
cool thief training scenes and thief-like hijinks.
-
Sharks.
Cons:
-
A
little too much time spent describing said interesting, extensive, and detailed
universe’s fantastical details. This
book could have been 50 pages shorter and lost nothing. (Although it is a really
cool world.)
-
Excessively
tragic events. I know you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet and I do hate
authors who are afraid to upset their readers, but come on. Was it necessary to
make things THIS bad for him?
-
Overly
powerful villain. Even Voldemort has weaknesses. I spent a lot of this book
thinking “wow, there really is no way around this guy, is there?”
-
Slightly
deus ex machina feel to the way they do defeat said powerful bad guy. It’s sort
of a “You seem to be about to defeat me…except for this FACT THAT CHANGES
EVERYTHING” kind of deal.
-
The
lead characters are all men. There is no female character who gets the last
word or the final triumph over any of the main male characters. The women win
some battles but no wars.
So there you
have it. There were things about this book that I really liked and other things
that I really disliked. Please read it and discuss it with me so that I can
figure out how I feel.
Don't miss any of the fabulousness! Follow me: